Once you have been prequalified or preapproved for your home loan it’s important not to accumulate any more debt.
What does that mean?
Are we saying you shouldn’t buy groceries, get gas, or go out to eat?
What we’re saying is…
- Don’t go buy a car, okay?
- Don’t go buy a boat! This is Florida, right?
- Don’t go buy appliances for your new house.
- Don’t go on vacation and put the whole thing on your credit card. Or go on a vacation and drain your checking account to pay for it. Don’t do that!
- Don’t pay off large amounts of credit card debt without talking to your lender first.
A lot of times we’ve seen when people do the things listed above they’ve not been able to get their loan. I would hate to see that happen to you!Talk to your lender before you do those things OR wait until after you close on your lovely new home!
Here are some other things to not do while trying to purchase a home:
- Don’t change your job, become self-employed, or quit your job.
- Don’t buy a car, truck, van or boat! Or you may be living in it instead of the house!
- Don’t use credit cards excessively or let your current credit card accounts fall behind.
- Don’t spend money you have set aside for closing!
- Don’t hide debts or liabilities from your loan application.
- Don’t buy furniture or appliances on credit.
- Don’t make large deposits without checking with your loan officer.
- Don’t change bank accounts.
- Don’t co-sign a loan for anyone!
If you have any questions please reach out to me!
Jennifer Hennis, Realtor®
Pamela Myers Realty